About Telefónica Digital – Why do we exist?
What is ‘Telefónica Digital’?
We’re the global innovation and cutting-edge digital technologies arm of Telefónica, one of the world’s largest telecoms companies with operations across 25 countries in Europe and Latin America and over 312 million customers. You may know us better through our commercial brands: O2, Movistar and Vivo.
Telefónica Digital brings together all the areas of Telefónica that have been focused on innovation, from R&D through to venture capital, digital service development and global partnerships.
We believe we can play a role in tackling pressing social needs using the transformative power of technology. Our focus areas span – Connected Machines, Big Data, Security, Financial Services, Cloud, Future Communications, Mobile Advertising, Video & Media and Open Web. We also have a global partnerships and venture capital team that invest in – and partner with – existing and new businesses, and power technology startups accelerator Wayra.
Track our daily updates, blogs, news, jobs and industry news via Twitter @tefdigital or sign up for e-alerts (see top left) to get a direct email when we’ve made a big announcement.
Official websites for our areas
We’re headquartered in the vibrant city of London, with regional hubs in Silicon Valley, Sao Paulo, Spain and Israel. Telefónica Digital expects to create annual revenues of approximately €5bn for Telefónica by 2015 with an annual revenue growth rate of 20%.
Move fast, launch early and take risks: This makes us different
- We have a mandate to be more open, agile and entrepreneurial.
- We want to make it easier for companies of all sizes, from small startups to global giants, to do business with us.
- We will move quickly to bring products and services to market through our operating businesses or in some cases directly to customers.
To become a leading digital telco, Telefónica Digital has four main focus areas:
- Product Development & Innovation – the development of proprietary products and services through Telefónica R+D and other operations.
- Partnership & Venture Capital – driving open innovation: where we cannot build products or services we will partner with, invest in or potentially acquire other companies. Read about Telefonica Ventures here.
- New Digital Services – bringing to market, directly or through Telefónica operating businesses, new products and services across key segments – M2M, eHealth, financial services, advertising, video & media, security and cloud computing.
- New Business Areas – creating new business opportunities in areas such as over the top communications (TU), Big Data (Telefónica Dynamic Insights) and Firefox OS (Open Web Devices)
Our core operating businesses also help differentiate us, namely:
- The billing relationships we have with over 312 million customers
- The distribution network we have with 41,000 retail stores
- The fact that we sell 5 million smartphones per quarter
We also have a number of successful businesses within the Telefónica Digital family that have a proven track record in digital innovation - Terra is the largest online media company in Latin America with 100 million users per month; Giffgaff in the UK has pioneered a new model of member-help-member customer service and Media Networks Latin America has established itself as one of the biggest players in the satellite TV market.
We produce regular thought leadership content via our public digital channels:
The Telefonica Digital Hub: This site is one of our official corporate channels and our global blog.
LinkedIn: Engage with our community of professionals, track our status updates and see our jobs first-hand on our company page.
G+: Follow our content in snippet-sized updates via our G+ company page if you’re a gmail user.
Twitter: Daily updates, industry-wide news, jobs, debate and coverage of our news.
Video editorial: Have you seen the latest in our new ‘Digital Futures’ web video series? Each 4 minute thought leadership video features three external global experts’ take on a cutting-edge technology theme.